- Pupils in Stackallen NS engage with a minimum of 60 minutes of physical activity per week.
- All 5 strands from the Primary Curriculum are taught on a rota basis at every class level during every school year.
- Our priority PE strand for the 2019/2020 school year is Athletics.
- The teachers also engage with the Fundamental Movement Skills framework as advocated by the PDST. There are three staff members who have completed the FMS course.
- An 'Active Schools Flag' committee was established in November. All pupils pledged to undertake at least 60 minutes of exercise a day.
- We have established strong links with local clubs in the community. Tennis, GAA, Rugby, Stretching, Athletics, Zumba etc. We ensure that the pupils experience a variety of exercise throughout the school year.
- Updates about our Active School Flag journey are posted on our school Facebook and Twitter pages.
- Movement breaks take place 2-3 times a day in every classroom.
- Wake Up-Shake Up takes place during the Spring/Summer term, three mornings a week at 9.20. Each class is assigned a week to lead the exercises.
- Pupils have the opportunity to play with a variety of equipment; footballs, tennis rackets, hula hoops etc, at all break times. Active School Flag leaders ensure that the equipment is accounted for at the end of each break.
Active Schools Week:
- A programme of exercise is designed by the Active School Flag committee and lead teachers in the Summer term.
- Sports Day takes place on the last day of Active Schools Week.
- Physical activity is the only homework given to the pupils during Active Schools Week.
- Pupils also have an opportunity to experience new sports and games during Active Schools Week. Coaches from the local area or teachers undertake to teach new sports to the pupils to ensure an inclusive sporting experience for all pupils.